Wednesday: November 4, 2009
- Microsoft decides to give the MSN homepage a bit of a facelift.
The new home page is tightly integrated with Bing, which should help boost the search engine's market share from its current ten percent or so. It also includes Twitter and Facebook feeds, so that users don't need to leave the page to update status or post a tweet.
Tuesday: November 3, 2009
- Fifteen awesome ultramodern fireplaces for you to gawk at.
Yes, it's quite possible to have a mini fire pit to go along with your coffee table. And by go along with, I actually mean inside your coffee table. Who wants smores?
Tuesday: October 27, 2009
- The essential characteristics of modern CSS layouts.
Another quality post from the folks at Smashing Magazine that covers said characteristics ranging from progressive enhancements to rich typography.
Friday: October 16, 2009
- Seven key principles that happen to make a web design look good.
...anyone should be able to create a visually pleasing design and take one step closer to fame. Okay, it’s not that simple, and talent and experience do matter, but anyone can turn their home page into something prettier within mere minutes.
- Ten essential skills that every graphic designer should probably have.
One of the more underrated design skills today is typography, however in truth, typography is one of the key things top advertising firms review in a design portfolio. It is usually the difference between a good and excellent designer.
Friday: October 9, 2009
- A collection of iPhone design trends for your viewing pleasure.
Smashing Magazine takes an in-depth look at successful (and perhaps the not so successful) design trends and patterns of the mobile sensation that is iPhone. Big pretty buttons, don't fail me now.
Wednesday: October 7, 2009
- Burger King to be the home of the newly renovated Whopper by end of 2010.
These sleek design changes will occur in 12,000 Burger King locations worldwide. The photos look suspiciously like when Marty visits Cafe Eighties from Back to the Future II.
- A collection of the world's ugliest buildings for you to gawk at.
Call me crazy, but I think the hand basket building is actually kind of cool rather than ugly as the article suggests. They make hand baskets after all - so the architecture works on a functional level.
Wednesday: September 30, 2009
- Fourteen cool designs inspired by R2-D2. Beep bop boop.
Coolest beanie ever, although the fish tank comes in at a close second for me.
Monday: September 28, 2009
- Fifteen designs inspired by Tetris just for you.
I'm still looking to get my hands on some of those Tetris ice cube trays. Now where is my thin piece so can clear this four-liner? Thin piece, FTW.
Friday: September 25, 2009
- Twenty-five colorful advertisements that will grab your attention.
Why not end your day with a little dose of color? Go on, taste the rainbow.
- Ten useful usability findings and guidlines from the folks over at Smashing Magazine.
Elements such as layout, consistency, typography, color and style all affect how users perceive your website and what kind of image you project. Your website should project not only a good image but also the right one for your audience.
Friday: August 28, 2009
- Fifteen of the worst user experience design mistakes ever.
Read up and learn my fellow designers, don't be that guy (or girl).
Thursday: July 30, 2009
- Twitter pulls the curtain back on homepage redesign.
There's a big Twitter Search button to 'see what people are saying about' a given topic, putting the service's utility front and center. Then there is a roster of trending topics by the hour, day, and week.
Tuesday: July 21, 2009
- Yahoo to pull the curtain back on a redesigned homepage tomorrow.
Screen shots of the redesign, which have been widely circulating on the Internet, show a customizable toolbar on the left of the page, which allows users to choose from their favorite third-party applications.