Wednesday: May 12, 2010
- Verizon would like you to know they are working on a tablet device with Google.
Few will be surprised at the notion that Google and Verizon are heading down this path: The New York Times reported last month that Google was working on a slate-style Android tablet along the lines of Apple's iPad.
Tuesday: May 11, 2010
- Fifteen things about Star Trek that you may not have previously known about.
I had no idea that a) the main tag line of Star Trek (to boldy go, yadda yadda) was lifted from a White House pamphlet on space exploration and b) the entire sentence is grammatically incorrect. Lets hear it for split infinitives!
Monday: May 10, 2010
- Android manages to outsell the iPhone in smartphone sales for the first time.
Verizon (30%), T-Mobile (17%) and Sprint (15%) make up the bulk of the rest of the market. The numbers may also reflect the late lifecycle of the iPhone 3GS compared to the newer android devices. Apple is also widely expected to revise the iPhone in the next month.
- Twelve stylish and creative sinks for your viewing pleasure.
Any sink you come across today will look dated and unappealing after seeing the photos contained on this link. Sure, they may not always be quite as functional as a regular sink but who cares - I've always wanted a sink that resembles a water slide.
- Video of Conan O'Brien at Google for those who haven't seen it already.
...ribbing Google VP of Engineering Vic Gundotra about the company's infamous aloofness: 'You guys are so power mad here at Google, You're such entitled A-holes. Hey, Conan's in the area, make him come by... Do a dance.'
- A handy tutorial regarding how to build your very own coffee cup sphere lamp.
Got a couple hundred coffee cups laying around? Put them too good use and make yourself a new lamp. Judging by the comments on the Instructables page, you'll be quite happy with the results.
Tuesday: April 20, 2010
- Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert renew their contracts with Comedy Central.
Stewart's contract extension with COMEDY CENTRAL will keep him at the helm of 'The Daily Show' through June 2013. Colbert's extension will keep him and 'The Colbert Report' at the all-comedy channel through the end of 2012.
- NASA to send first humanoid robot out into space later this year.
The robotics aren't quite advanced enough yet to send an actual android that is advanced as the ones you've seen on Star Trek - but it's a start. As to when these robot astronauts will turn on their masters and decide to destory all of our satellites - anybody's guess.
Thursday: April 15, 2010
- Need some icons for your next project? Smashing Magazine is here to help.
Ah, icons - creating them can be a tedious process even for seasoned designers. Luckily, Smashing Magazine has given us all an arsenal of which to start from. Expect to see most of these icons (or slight variations of them) in iPhone apps, productivity software, and/or WordPress themes near you soon.
- Photoblog: Sunrise Over Ontario
Slightly grainy shot captured recently whilst engaged in a weekend quick trip over the border. Should also be noted that this photo was taken with my trusty and newly updated iPhone 3GS which takes pretty good photos now that they've added that handy autofocus feature.Location:
Lake Ontario, Canada
- Fifty incredible works of coffee and latte art for your viewing pleasure.
My cup of coffee is looking downright boring after seeing some of the offerings in this collection but caffeine is caffeine and it certainly gets the job done regardless of artistic merit. For those interested in making their very own coffee art a tutorial is just waiting for you around the corner.
Tuesday: April 13, 2010
- A handy tutorial regarding how to build your very own multi-touch surface device.
if you've got about $1,500 to kick around (and a spare computer) you too can make a surface that happens to be capable of multi-touch. You could also just buy a device that's already capable of multi-touch out of the box (cough cough, iPhone iPad iPod Touch) - but really, where's the fun in that?
Monday: April 12, 2010
- Paramount teams up with Seagate to deliver movies via external hard drives.
The new FreeAgent Go 500 gigabyte device will have 21 movies preloaded, including a free offer of 'Star Trek.' Users can unlock access to any of the other 20 movies after paying for a passcode for a price of between $9.99 and $14.99.
- Starbucks giving away free coffee on April 15th, bring your own mug.
The free coffee giveaway is an effort to raise awareness that we should all be ditching paper cups in favor of switching to a more reusable environmentally-friendly coffee container. This container would probably be a cylinder mug-like type of object - most likely a mug. More info (and a short flick) over here.
Tuesday: March 30, 2010
- Fifteen things about The Simpsons you may not have previously known about.
I had no idea that every Simpsons family member's middle name started with the letter J. Also it's nice to see that 'D'oh' is officially part of our English dictionary. Have you pulled a Homer today?