Tuesday: November 24, 2009
- CNN would like to let you in on eight weird ways to save the Earth.
Covers everything from cloud whitening all the way up to (but not limited to) space-based frisbee deflectors. I guess they weren't kidding when they used the term 'weird' in the headline.
Friday: November 20, 2009
- Want to know what Earth would look like if it had a ring system?
Rings views from Earth's surface were created according to the location's latitude, northern or souther hemisphere, and the viewer's orientation. The size of the rings was calculated respecting the Roche limit for the Earth.
- Seventeen creative hot air balloon designs just for you.
It looks like Unicron and Darth Vader finally have something in common (what with the whole floating heads in space thing). What, you've never seen the original Transformers movie?
- Daily Grind: Cloudy
Name: Vin (aka dayquil daytripper)
How Vin feels today: Cloudy @ 2:39:23 PM
What Vin really wants today: To shake off yet another strain of this cold/flu business prior to my upcoming (and much-needed) vacation.
Music Stuck in Head: Only a Dream / Phish
I'm very curious as to why they decided to leave this off the new album and stick it on the bonus disc (which most people still haven't received). This tune is better than most of the songs on 'Joy'.
Stuff to do today:
- Clean up GeekLikeMe footer and paging (scroll to the bottom of the site)
- Test new code additions in multiple browsers, particularly Internet Explorer
- ...of which I highly reccomend this tool to all of my fellow web nerds: IETester
- Cross that item off the list
- Fix rupture in space time continuum for crossing off crossed off item on daily grind to do list
- Wish a certain member of the Michnay family a happy birthday
- Apologize for lack of a daily grind post in what... two weeks?
- Get back on track next week now that server mess is all cleaned up
- The actual faces behind some of your favorite cartoon character voices.
A fun post with some interesting reveals that you may not have known about before (for instance, the voice of Shredder in the TMNT series). For those interested in my thumbnail choice, there is a slew of Dr. Katz videos up on YouTube.
- Cartoons reimagined in the real world through the realistic eye of Photoshop.
Because life is in fact like a hurricane in Duckburg, with race cars, lasers, aeroplanes - it's a duck blur. You might solve a mystery or even rewrite history. Duck Tales, oo-oo Tales of derring-do (derring?), bad and good luck tales.
Thursday: November 19, 2009
- The top eleven reasons why Darth Vader would make a bad lunch date.
3. Keeps saying 'I have you now' every time he picks up something with the chopsticks.
Wednesday: November 11, 2009
- A handy tutorial on how to draw perspective in your next doodle or art project.
The main thing to remember is that as things get farther away, they look smaller, but the angle at which they fade is what will give your drawings a realistic, three-dimensional effect.
Monday: November 2, 2009
- An entire website devoted to simple desktop wallpaper just for you.
I am a neat freak when it comes to my computer desktop icons and wallpapers. This site has some awesome options for those of us who like to keeps things simple and neat. Insta-bookmarked.
- The top ten signs you attended a bad Halloween party.
8. Scariest thing at the party is the expiration date on the onion dip.
Friday: October 30, 2009
- A thorough debunking of laser usage in selected Hollywood movies.
Lightsabers violate the rules of physics in several important respects. For one thing, laser light is continuous so it wouldn't be possible to make it end in a tip to form the blade.
- Five smart playlists to help you manage your iTunes library.
Some good suggestions from the folks at TUAW for making the most out of of your iTunes library utilizing smart playlists. Here's an additional one from yours truly: One Play Wonders - rating is in the range of 3 stars to 5 stars while the play count is just 1. Enjoy.
Thursday: October 29, 2009
- Eight brilliant examples of drinking straw art for you to gawk at.
Yes, it turns out that your drinking straws are a creative masterpiece just waiting to happen. Are you still using your straws for just drinking liquids? Live in the now.
Wednesday: October 28, 2009
- What Star Wars can teach us on the subject of career management.
Your threats of turning fellow workers to the Dark Side sound hollow and that Jedi mind trick you've been working on for the past six months doesn't seem to be getting you anywhere. Your big promotion? You might as well be working in the Spice Mines of Kessel.
- Twenty amazing pumpkin carvings for you to gawk at.
Nothing says Halloween like having the Dark Lord of the Sith greet your trick or treaters in pumpkin form. As an added bonus, make sure this sound effect plays as trick or treaters open the door.