Monday: January 7, 2013
- Apple would like you to know that they've had over 40 billion downloads from their app store.
That's a lot of downloads. Apparently half of that number was just in 2012 alone.
Friday: July 29, 2011
- Apple has more cash on hand than the United States government.
Apple's last earnings report (PDF here) showed that the company had $76.2 billion in cash and marketable securities at the end of June. In other words, the world's largest tech company has more cash than the world's largest sovereign government. That's because Apple collects more money than it spends, while the U.S. government does not.
Thursday: July 7, 2011
- Apple would like you to know that they have surpassed 15 billion downloads in the app store.
Engadget reports on Apple's latest press release in which not only have they hit the fifteen billion download mark, but they also want to point out that they've paid out 2.5 billion dollars for developing said fifteen billion apps. This number accounts for app sales across iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad users (of which there are 200 million) - just in case you were wondering
Monday: May 17, 2010
- YouTube now gets about two billion hits on a daily basis.
YouTube has decided to share this information just as they turn a whopping five years old. According to the source article, the first video ever posted to the service can still be found on their site to this day (and you can view it here). Congratulations and a happy birthday, the Interwebs have enjoyed many a rickroll thanks to you.
Thursday: February 25, 2010
- Apple would like you to know that they've hit the ten billionth download.
The downloader of said billionth song is the lucky recipient of a $10,000 iTunes gift card. Try not to spend it all one place (gift card is also good for app store purchases as well).
Friday: February 12, 2010
- Apple holding countdown contest for ten billionth iTunes song download.
The winner of the countdown--the person that downloads the 10 billionth song--will win a $10,000 gift card. You can download any song from iTunes and be eligible for the prize, the company said.
Monday: February 8, 2010
- Google will probably make over a billion via online advertising this year.
In display advertising, Google lags behind Yahoo!, which had revenue of $6.5 billion in 2009 that was generated largely from its display ads. Google has tried to catch up in part through acquisitions. Two of the biggest were aimed at the display ad market.
Tuesday: January 5, 2010
- Apple's app store crashes through the three billion download mark.
What, no contest for the three billionth download in the app store? What gives? It's not like they've slated out other things to do over there in Cupertino besides contests and giveaways. Wakka wakka wakka.
Tuesday: December 29, 2009
- Avatar flick still doing pretty well for James Cameron and company.
The film has raked in a whopping $232 billion thus far. Source website seems to think that Avatar is well on it's way to reaching the likes of Star Wars ($460.9 million) and maybe even Cameron's own Titantic ($1.8 billion). Not sure how you can equate $232 million to $1.8 billion that quickly though.
Monday: November 16, 2009
- IBM now offering cloud computing services too.
IBM, the world's biggest technology services company, has lagged behind younger companies in rolling out cloud services. But it is still early days for the cloud industry, which Gartner Research estimates will ring up sales of about $3.4 billion this year.
Friday: November 13, 2009
- Intel decides to settle up with AMD to the tune of $1.25 billion.
But even before Thursday, AMD's complaints had their desired effect: Antitrust regulators in several countries have filed cases against Intel based on AMD's accusations — cases that won't disappear because of the settlement.
Tuesday: October 20, 2009
- Twitter would like you to know that over five billion tweets have been served.
It's sort of fitting that Twitter's 5 billionth tweet came not from one of the celebrities or marketers who have flooded the service in recent months, but from one of the quirky Bay Area dot-com nerds who formed its first loyal pack of users.
Friday: October 9, 2009
- YouTube would like you to know that they now get a billion views per day.
Congrats to YouTube on their continued Internet meme machine success. May there be many more keyboard cats and unintentional rickrolls yet to come.
Monday: September 28, 2009
- Apple pleased to announce that the App Store has surpassed two billion downloads.
The rate of App Store downloads continues to accelerate with users downloading a staggering two billion apps in just over a year, including more than half a billion apps this quarter alone,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO.
Thursday: September 17, 2009
- Twitter valued at about a billion thanks to recent funding.
Last week, Twitter revised its terms of service to state that its service could contain ads that, among other things, target 'queries made through the services.'