Wednesday: March 17, 2010
- Eight common CSS mistakes and how you can fix them.
Yep, this about covers every mistake I've made along the way so far in my learning of CSS. Looking over my source code now it seems there are still a few I've yet to correct. Regardless, if you're just starting out learning the ins and outs of CSS, read this first - it may save you some tim e (and potential headaches). Good luck.
Thursday: February 25, 2010
- A gallery of carnivorous plant-life for your carnivorous plant-loving pleasure.
I am loving some of these National Geographic slideshows (even more so with their new recent web redesign), especially when it's on odd subjects I rarely think about - case in point, carnivorous plant-life. Beware and behold these fearsome plants!
Monday: November 16, 2009
- Nine of the most common Internet Explorer bugs and how to fix them.
Designing a website with the hopes of it being semi-cross-compatible amongst modern browsers? You'll soon realize, as most of the web designing world has, that Internet Explorer will be the bane of your existence.
Thursday: November 12, 2009
- Apple releases update to Safari browser to fix some security issues.
Along with some patches to fix certain vulnerabilities, the update contains some bits of code to make your beloved copy of Safari more stable as well.
Friday: October 9, 2009
- Apple fires out software update for iPhone users which fixes some pesky bugs.
The update also resolves an issue that could interrupt the cell network until the phone is restarted. A bug that caused a crash during video streaming has been addressed in iPhone OS 3.1.2.
Wednesday: September 23, 2009
- New study shows that quality of open source code is actually improving.
'Defect density' has dropped 16 percent during the past three years among the projects scanned through the site and some 11,200 defects have been eliminated, according to Coverity's latest report.
- Apple releases update for iTunes 9 that fixes some bugs.
If you had issues with your copy of iTunes being unresponsive or just unexpectedly quitting, this update is for you.
Thursday: August 6, 2009
- Apple rolls out Mac OS X 10.5.8 software update.
This latest release includes general operating system fixes that will enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your beloved Mac.
Thursday: July 2, 2009
- The ten best uses of classical music in classic cartoons.
Includes video references for your viewing pleasure.
Tuesday: June 23, 2009
- Daily Grind: Irked
Name: Vin (aka glm fluffer)
How Vin feels today: Irked @ 9:24:00 AM
What Vin really wants today: Work on bug testing skills - continue fixing some annoying GLM bugs that I had thought I were previously fixed.
Music Stuck in Head: 1 vs 100 Theme / Xbox Live
Been playing way too much of this game lately. Thanks Xbox!
Stuff to do today:
- Add more SEO hooks to all posts, see what the outcome is
- Fix issues with encoding of pesky characters on comments
- Remind readers that each and every item on the new GLM can be commented on
- ...and you can even add a badge to give your comment some uh... flair?
- Take suggestions for additional badges
Tuesday: June 16, 2009
- Daily Grind: Slightly accomplished
Name: Vin (aka glm fanboy)
How Vin feels today: Slightly accomplished @ 9:04:00 AM
What Vin really wants today: To mark that this is the first official new daily grind post of GeekLikeMe 4.0. Also state that aforementioned daily grind is now once again a weekday thing - hooray. Oh, and also to continue fixing various bugs with recently launched new version of this site.
Music Stuck in Head: Glory Days / Bruce Springsteen
Mostly because I'm curious to hear how it sounds with Phish as the backup band.
Stuff to do today:
- Figure out a way to get more sleep
- Update 'potentially related posts' feature on content pages, group posts together by date rather than list them out
- Modify XML feeds
- Figure out if pinging blog services really makes any difference at all
- Build an auto-pinger just for good measure
- Move on to less nerdy topics...
- Pre-order the new Monkey Island games from Telltale at some point before July 6th
- Yes, Monkey Island: click here for more info
- Also get credit card ready to purchase Sam & Max for XBLA
- I heart Telltale Games
Monday: June 15, 2009
- GeekLikeMe 4.0
Welcome to the latest incarnation of GeekLikeMe.net. Things look a little bit different around here, eh? Poke around and have a look at some of the new features - some of which aren't really new in the sense that what was here previously was old. New things include: individual commenting capabilities on individual posts (you can comment on anything that is posted now - ie daily grind, photoblogs, comics etc), better rss feeds, tags, weekdaily link thumbnails, quick comment posting from the front pages, categories, archives, comment badges, and etc etc etc. That's a lot to start off with - and as always more stuff is in the works. I'll be fixing bugs for most of this week until things are sorted out. Leave a comment or two here to let me know if you a) love/hate the new site b) find a bug c) you have an opinion on both options a and b.
Update: for those who asked, regular posting resumes tomorrow.