Sunday: December 9, 2012
- Rumors swirling that Disney's Hollywood Studios will be getting a Radiator Springs makeover.
While this news is by no means official it sounds like a formal announcement may be right around the corner. Full disclosure: I am a gigantic Disney nerd. My kids, by association, are also gigantic Disney nerds. But they also happen to be huge fans of the Cars movies. Ask us to recite any line and you'll hear the whole movie. The recently opened Cars Land in California has been met with postivive reviews from fans and non-fans of the franchise. Being that we reside on the East Coast, a trip to Florida is way more feasible than a trip out to California. Ka-chow!
Thursday: March 18, 2010
- Disgruntled employee disables hundreds of cars from the comfort of his PC.
I wouldn't call this so much of a 'hack' (or hacker according to Wired) but rather a disgruntled employee who happened to know his way around a most-likely poorl y designed online security system. If you put functionality like this online without proper security this is just an accident waiting to happen.
Tuesday: March 9, 2010
- Eleven of the world's craziest roads for you to gawk at.
Enjoy this collection of wild and in most cases ridiculously dangerous modes of travel. Maybe it's because I usually have video games on the brain but after seeing these pictures I really want to go play some Mario Kart.
Monday: March 8, 2010
- Miss some of the Oscars last night? Here is a complete list of all the nominations and winners.
It was quite nice to see that Cablevision and ABC were able to set aside there differences just twenty minutes after the broadcast started. Especially after Cablevision promised a free day of On Demand programming (which didn't work) and ABC's sponsors threatened to have them mauled by tigers.
Thursday: January 7, 2010
- You'll soon be able to tweet from your automobile thanks to the Ford Sync system.
Yet another way that technology is going to make the roads safer. As if cell phones, smart phones, app phones, GPS, XM weren't enough to distract from you from you know, actually driving.
Monday: January 4, 2010
- Technology not quite as advanced by 2010 as some would have hoped.
Nope, turns out we're not living like The Jetsons quite yet; shockingly some people aren't too happy with that. Although we still have another fifty years to go before any real complaining should go on (The Jetsons live in the year 2062 according to Wikipedia).
Friday: November 13, 2009
- Nissan would still really like to make the world's cheapest car.
An 'ultra low cost car' like the ones described in the article would ultimately set you back about two grand or less. Models are currently only available in India, no word on when this may start to ship state side.
Thursday: October 29, 2009
- Your genes may be the reason as to why you're a bad driver.
To their surprise, they found that those with the mutant gene did worse, consistently. The gene controls a protein called brain-derived neurotrophic factor, which affects memory.
Monday: October 19, 2009
- Some vanity license plates may not compute very well with transit authorities.
Officials usually put seven X's in place of the number for cars without license plates. Roberson says the mix-up has led him to get as many as 10 tickets in a day.
- A gellery of ten cars that were ahead of their time.
...featured several industry firsts, including seat belts, a third headlight that turned with the wheels, a perimeter frame with integrated roll-bar crash protection and a hemispherical combustion engine. It also was remarkably aerodynamic.
Monday: October 5, 2009
- Nissan finds that emulating fish helps robotic cars avoid crashes.
The automaker studied how large schools of fish can move without colliding. It says Eporo imitates three rules of fish movement: avoiding crashes, traveling side by side, and keeping close to other members of the school.
Thursday: September 24, 2009
- Dream vehicles through the wondrous eye of Photoshop.
This was supposed to be the future. Where is my jetpack? Where is my robotic companion? Where is my dinner in pill form? Where is my nuclear-powered levitating house? And where is my flying car?
Friday: September 11, 2009
- Some plot details regarding Cars 2 surface online.
It looks like you'll be seeing different races around the world with a little bit spy thriller mixed in for good measure (wasn't a big fan of the original but my kid is obsessed). The sequel will be in theaters summer of 2011.
Tuesday: August 11, 2009
- Daily Grind: Unmotivated
Name: Vin (aka bob)
How Vin feels today: Unmotivated @ 1:17:00 PM
What Vin really wants today: Continue pouring over code and new algorithms for work-related stuff. Find someone who has spare motivation to lend.
Music Stuck in Head: Rock n' Roll / Velvet Underground
It was alright.
Stuff to do today:
- Continue to wait patiently for recent eBay purchase (see yesterday's Daily Grind post)
- Continue researching options for new family car purchase
- Continue riding current family car into the ground
- Continue working on new updates to GLM (some big, some small)
- Stop starting every todo item with the word continue
Monday: August 10, 2009
- Nissan comes up with a method for getting rid of bad odors in your car.
It can then release a leafy 'forest' smell, created using essential oils, into the car to combat any lingering nasty whiffs. Once the sensors no longer detect the offensive odour outside, the vents open again to allow fresh air in.