Tuesday: July 12, 2011
- Some new info about Microsoft's upcoming version of SQL Server for all you database nerds out there.
Just when you think you've gotten used to something a new software product comes along and changes things up. The new version of SQL Server called 'Denali' will see a final release sometime in late 2011 or early 2012. For those wondering here is a giant list of deprecated features the product will carry that you can go cry in the corner about.
Friday: March 19, 2010
- Netflix decides to do away with that friends feature that nobody used.
Maybe this would have worked better had they tried to incorporate into - I don't know, a popular social network perhaps? Seems like the right place where friends would want to exchange information about the types of movies they happen to be renting at the time. Maybe that's just me.
Monday: March 15, 2010
- The folks at Digg would like you to know that a redesign is coming in the near future.
Wow, I haven't used Digg in a long, long time (reddit ftw) but I'm quite curious to see what new 'radical features' they have in store. One of the key changes according to the source article is an unlimited number of topics (aka subreddits). How original.
Tuesday: February 9, 2010
- The top eleven undocumented features of HTML5.
3. Enhanced support for people with disabilities by automatically correcting 'its', 'it's' and 'your', 'you're' mistakes on pages. Hey, what happened to item number four?
Tuesday: January 26, 2010
- The top eleven unlikely features of the Apple Tablet.
Given the amount of secrecy around this product one of these unlikely features may actually turn out to be true. Alright, all things considered it won't probably won't turn into a robot ...or will it?
Tuesday: December 1, 2009
- The top eleven imaginary features of the imaginary Apple Tablet.
9. The startup sound has the ability to tame unicorns and capture leprechauns. My other personal fav: 6. Does not even have a battery to remove. Powered only by your awesomeness.
Saturday: November 7, 2009
- Server Issues and GLM Updates.
Well, as you can see we've been having some server troubles as of late. I'm still trying to work out these issues as to avoid any further downtime. So in the meantime, if you happen to see a message that says 'SERVICE UNAVAILABLE' just know somewhere behind the scenes tiny lemmings are furiously trying to get the site back up and running.
I guess I can also take this post as an opportunity to give you all a GLM state of the union. The redesign from June turned out to be a mild success as GLM has enjoyed a small boost in general web traffic more so than we used to get before. The big news is that I'm hoping to have several new features incorporated into the site before the year is out. Some of them relate to user-generated content (you might be able to guess where thats going) while some of the updates pertain to brand new features (no, I'm not telling what they are).
So that's about it in a nutshell. Oh, I encourage everyone to use the 'Discuss' feature on every post - this place just seems to be too quiet. Help me liven it up with a little idle chatter. Cheers!
Wednesday: October 28, 2009
- Expect to see some more iPhone applications from Disney.
...it will offer users of the popular Apple Inc devices items like the new 'Click2Life' feature that lets fans take pictures of images from the Disney.com Web site, and eventually in the physical world, and unlock exclusive content.
Wednesday: October 21, 2009
- The top eleven features you probably won't find in Windows 7.
7. Personal apology from Bill Gates for Windows ME, Vista and IE 6.
Tuesday: September 29, 2009
- Five Zune HD features that Apple should appropriate in the near future.
CNET makes some great observations on a few key features that the new Zune actually does pretty well. It would be nice to have wireless syncing for my beloved Apple-branded devices.
Friday: August 28, 2009
- Five features that would be nice to see in a future version of Firefox.
Memory management, memory management, memory management. Did I mention memory management? Also, please fix the whole 'Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system.'
Thursday: July 2, 2009
- A closer look at whether or not you'll actually have a need for Google Voice.
Handy overview for those thinking about taking the plunge when the service becomes available.
Wednesday: June 17, 2009
- A writeup on how to use the best forty features of the new iPhone 3.0 software.
Everything you need to know to maximize your iPhone enjoyment.
Monday: June 15, 2009
- GeekLikeMe 4.0
Welcome to the latest incarnation of GeekLikeMe.net. Things look a little bit different around here, eh? Poke around and have a look at some of the new features - some of which aren't really new in the sense that what was here previously was old. New things include: individual commenting capabilities on individual posts (you can comment on anything that is posted now - ie daily grind, photoblogs, comics etc), better rss feeds, tags, weekdaily link thumbnails, quick comment posting from the front pages, categories, archives, comment badges, and etc etc etc. That's a lot to start off with - and as always more stuff is in the works. I'll be fixing bugs for most of this week until things are sorted out. Leave a comment or two here to let me know if you a) love/hate the new site b) find a bug c) you have an opinion on both options a and b.
Update: for those who asked, regular posting resumes tomorrow.