Monday: August 15, 2011
- Ten games that take minutes to learn and a lifetime to master.
While chess is often thought of as a mathematical game, experts say the real contest is often a psychological one, in which players scrutinize one another for subtle cues and tendencies that predict behavior and reveal weaknesses. As Soviet chess trainer Mark Dvoretsky once noted: 'The opponent makes an apparently innocent move, but for some reason or another, he rouses our vigilance and promptly we discover the cunning that is concealed.'
Friday: July 8, 2011
- Thirty interesting 404 pages for all of you web design nerds out there.
Leaving this here only because I need to come up with a suitable 404 page myself and happened to be scouring the web for some inspiration. So yes, this is relevant to my interests at this given moment in time. The dead Link one should get some get some kind of award.
Tuesday: May 11, 2010
- Fifteen things about Star Trek that you may not have previously known about.
I had no idea that a) the main tag line of Star Trek (to boldy go, yadda yadda) was lifted from a White House pamphlet on space exploration and b) the entire sentence is grammatically incorrect. Lets hear it for split infinitives!
Monday: May 10, 2010
- Some new programming jargon that you may not have previously known about.
This should be a fun read for all my fellow code-monkey development friends out there as you'll be able to identify with more than a handful of these all too common issues and concepts. Yoda conditions, you may have.
Friday: March 26, 2010
- Twenty geeky gadgets for growing plants indoors.
Yes, it's quite possible (with a little soldering) to see how your plants are doing by way of their personal Twitter updates. Through those updates you'll know if your beloved plants require water and/or more sunlight all through Twitter. In other news, your plants are on Twitter.
Thursday: March 25, 2010
- Looking for a coat hanger that shows off your geek cred? Look no further.
Yet another lovely albeit slightly nerdy addition to any home or office which also happens to be great blend of form and function all at once. These pixelated hanger will set you back just twenty bucks each.
Thursday: March 11, 2010
- CNN lists out the top ten geek anthems of all time.
Slow news week eh, CNN? It's nice to see that they are tailoring articles that happen to be relevant to my specific interests. Coincidence or targeted advertising? All things considered (and to my surprise) this is actually a pretty well rounded selection of songs. Go ahead, get your geek on.
Tuesday: March 2, 2010
- The top eleven ways in which geeks would lower health care costs.
11. Let doctors and scientists do whatever experiments they want with genes, medicines, humans, animals. Either mutants will destroy the world or cancer will be cured.
- Ten of the geekiest ties for your viewing pleasure.
Fellow nerds in the workplace: I urge you to get out there and wear your geek pride proudly to work in tie-form. You make us all proud. Bonus points to anyone who rocks the eight-bit tie (a personal favorite of mine).
Monday: March 1, 2010
- Ten creative and geeky hoodie designs for your viewing pleasure.
I added 'geeky' to the headline mostly because all of these hoodies are of the Star Wars, comic book or video game variety (not that there's anything wrong with that; I just felt it had to be clarified). Source link also contains purchase links for those who are so inclined. By the way, that R2-D2 hoodie will set you back $92 bucks.
Thursday: February 4, 2010
- The top eleven signs that a geek probably made your lunch.
'11. It's served to you by a roomba.' The possibility of having lunch (or any meal) served via Roomba gets my inner geek juices flowing. Plus, if any of it spills along the way it will most likely be cleaned up on the next cleaning voyage.
Monday: February 1, 2010
- Sixty-four things that every geek should probably know about.
Covers a variety of geeky items and topics you can use in everyday settings. Of course, these topics are ideal for settings such as identifying a keylogger, surviving a Linux argument, and even hotwiring a car.
Friday: January 8, 2010
- Find out just how well you know your cable connectors with this handy quiz.
It seems that I've done enough under and over the desk wiring in my life to warrant the 100% grade I just received on this quiz. I am a very proud man today.
Friday: December 11, 2009
- Fourteen unusual Christmas ornaments for you to gawk at.
Nothing screams Christmas like having not one, but two Star Trek ornaments adorn your beloved tree. Captian Kirk, this is Spock, please step in the transporter.
Monday: December 7, 2009
- Yes, it's quite possible for you to tweet in Klingon.
This handy website includes tons of useful sample tweets as well like 'We will destroy the Federation!' and 'Your mother has a smooth forehead.' Also, your ship greatly resembles that of a garbage scow. Kapla!