Thursday: December 13, 2012
- The Verge reviews The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and finds some unexpected issues.
Rather than the majestic grandeur presented in the first films, the new entry looks more like a Renaissance Faire recreation shot on your brother's mini-DV camera. It's most jarring in the movie's opening, where we briefly visit Frodo and Bilbo in the moments leading up to Fellowship; we know what these characters in that world should look like, and it simply feels wrong.
Monday: July 11, 2011
- Start your week off with a smile and journey over to Isengard with your pal Saruman.
Make sure that you are not drinking any sort of mead or eating Elven bread whilst watching this quick video. It may travel as far Rohan before settlling near the white tree of Gondor before being expunged from your nose. Interesting to note that Saruman can add trolls to the list of creatures once bred at Isengard.
Wednesday: March 17, 2010
- Gandalf confirms that 'The Hobbit' will indeed start filming this June.
This news comes straight from Ian McKellen's website who will of course be reprising his role as Gandalf the Grey. Casting is already in progress and it's estimated that filming will take about a year or so over in New Zealand.
Tuesday: December 15, 2009
- Lord of the Rings trilogy will be available on Blu-ray next April.
The April release is just for the standard theatrical cuts and not the extended editions. The extended editions are expected sometime in 2011 closer to the release of The Hobbit.
Monday: December 14, 2009
- Six Lord of The Ring characters who totally dropped the ball.
He has his human enemy on the ground at his feet. One enemy, with tens of thousands at his back. He then sloooowly reaches out with his ringed hand, allowing his finger to get chopped off. The ring is detached, he dies, his entire empire collapsing with it.
Tuesday: December 8, 2009
- Peter Jackson would like you to know 'The Hobbit' is still on track for 2011.
Jackson was then asked if he believes The Hobbit will still be in theaters by December of 2011. 'At this stage, that is certainly the plan. Yeah.' You heard it straight from Peter Jackson himself - The Hobbit's release has not been delayed.
Monday: November 30, 2009
- One scientist has managed to successfully trap a rainbow.
When they shone a multi-wavelength laser beam at the open end of the gilded waveguide, a trapped rainbow formed inside. This could be seen as a series of coloured rings when the lens was viewed from above with a microscope.
Friday: November 20, 2009
- A collection of twenty geek-inspired engagement rings for you to gawk at.
I am shocked (shocked, I tell you) that this list is missing what is quite possibly the geekiest engagement ring of all time. Blasphemy I say - there can only be one ring to rule them all.
- Want to know what Earth would look like if it had a ring system?
Rings views from Earth's surface were created according to the location's latitude, northern or souther hemisphere, and the viewer's orientation. The size of the rings was calculated respecting the Roche limit for the Earth.
Thursday: September 24, 2009
- Ian McKellen to reprise role as Gandalf the Grey in 'The Hobbit'.
'If you play a part that gets an awful lot of attention,' he explained, 'forever after you're being asked by directors to play the same part in their movie. But I played the best wizard, and I'm happy to revisit him, which I shall do in The Hobbit with Guillermo del Toro.
Monday: August 10, 2009
- Something may have punched a hole through Jupiter's rings.
It’s not exactly clear what’s going on here, even in this slightly zoomed shot. But it looks for all the world - or worlds — like some small object on an inclined orbit has punched through Saturn’s narrow F ring, bursting out from underneath, and dragging behind it a wake of particles from the rings.
Monday: August 3, 2009
- Middle Earth circa 2009 through the magical eye of Photoshop.
Ever wonder what society would be like if mystical creatures really existed? What if trolls, faeries, unicorns, dragons, witches, sorcerers, golems, elves, or any other known mystical fantasy creature were still around today mixing with the human element?
Friday: June 19, 2009
- The Hobbit may or may not feature Hugo Weaving.
Looks like he's willing to do it though, if he happens to get the call.
Monday: June 15, 2009
- Bruce Springsteen jams with Phish at Bonnaroo Music Festival
Wow, that's one hell of a special guest.
Thursday: February 15, 2007
- Glow of Doom
Yet another lame Nintendo Wii joke this time combined with a Lord of the Rings joke. See? It's like the best of both worlds.