Wednesday: May 12, 2010
- Twenty fresh high-quality free fonts courtesy of the folks from Smashing Magazine.
Every designer knows that it can never hurt to have some quality fonts laying around in your design arsenal for a rainy day. Having too many shitty fonts in your library and using said shitty fonts often, well that's another story.
Tuesday: April 20, 2010
As usual, another quality post from the folks over at Smashing Magazine. I have to admit that I'm guilty of still not knowing some of the tidbits contained in this article despite (for all intensive purposes) this being my career for quite some time. How irresponsible is that?
Thursday: April 15, 2010
- Need some icons for your next project? Smashing Magazine is here to help.
Ah, icons - creating them can be a tedious process even for seasoned designers. Luckily, Smashing Magazine has given us all an arsenal of which to start from. Expect to see most of these icons (or slight variations of them) in iPhone apps, productivity software, and/or WordPress themes near you soon.
Tuesday: March 30, 2010
- Large hadron collider smashes protons successfully after some minor power issues.
This is thought to have a profound role in the structure of the Universe, and would enable scientists to explain why matter has mass - something which, at a fundamental level, they have difficulty doing at present.
Wednesday: December 30, 2009
- Fifty useful design tools for beautiful web typography.
Another quality post from Smashing Magazine covering everything you could possibly need to know about how to make decent looking web typography. Post features a number of great online utilities you can use as well as some handy techniques. Happy fonting.
Thursday: November 19, 2009
- Smashing Magazine would like you to know that classic blog posts are boring.
A lof of valid points in this writeup along with some great examples of web designers who are pushing the envelope in this area. I'm loving the deviation from their normal layout just to push the article's main concept.
Monday: November 16, 2009
- Twenty brand new high quality free fonts just for you.
Need some new fonts for your design arsenal? Smashing Magazine is here to the recue to perk up your library. They encourage you to read up license agreements before using these fonts - just in case.
Tuesday: October 27, 2009
- The essential characteristics of modern CSS layouts.
Another quality post from the folks at Smashing Magazine that covers said characteristics ranging from progressive enhancements to rich typography.
Wednesday: October 14, 2009
- A list of CSS differences found in different versions of Internet Explorer.
In a nutshell, Internet Explorer 6 is a big steaming pile of 'not supported' while Internet Explorer 7 trails slightly behind. Version 8 seems to finally be on the right track.
Friday: October 9, 2009
- A collection of iPhone design trends for your viewing pleasure.
Smashing Magazine takes an in-depth look at successful (and perhaps the not so successful) design trends and patterns of the mobile sensation that is iPhone. Big pretty buttons, don't fail me now.
Friday: September 25, 2009
- Ten useful usability findings and guidlines from the folks over at Smashing Magazine.
Elements such as layout, consistency, typography, color and style all affect how users perceive your website and what kind of image you project. Your website should project not only a good image but also the right one for your audience.
Monday: August 31, 2009
- Fifty free resources that will help improve your photography skills.
An extensive list of links as only Smashing Magazine can do regarding everything photography.
Monday: August 10, 2009
- The ten harsh truths about corporate blogging.
A good read for you corporate bloggers out there (you know who you are).
Monday: July 20, 2009
- Fifty new CSS techniques to attempt for your next web design.
An extensive writeup that's sure to inspire all types of web coders. Have at it!
Thursday: June 18, 2009
- Ten ways to make your site accessible using web standards.
Another quality post from Smashing Magazine that covers everything from doctypes to validation. This post is a great read for all of my fellow web development nerds.