Tuesday: May 11, 2010
- FYI, Windows 7 'compatibility checker' currently masquerading as trojan horse virus.
Once a victim has installed the software, criminals can pretty much do whatever they want on the PC, Cosoi said. That could mean installing a keylogger to steal banking credentials or even gaining full access to the hacked system.
Tuesday: March 30, 2010
- A list of the ten riskiest cities for cyber-crime. Good to know.
Traveling to Seattle, Boston, Washington, D.C., San Francisco, Raleigh, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Denver, Austin or Portland in the near future? Make sure your computer is up to date with the latest virus protections and all of that - although it may not make much difference.
Monday: March 22, 2010
- Five games having something to do about health (in honor of health care reform).
I don't know about you but seeing all the news about health care reform this morning really makes me want to get my Dr. Mario on. So long red virus, so long blue virus!
Tuesday: March 9, 2010
- Your rechargeable batteries may come with a free Trojan horse virus.
The battery maker said it does not know how the Trojan got into the software. 'Energizer has discontinued sale of this product and has removed the site to download the software,' the statement said.
Friday: October 30, 2009
- FYI, beware of malware lurking in unsuspecting Twitter links.
In a nutshell, you should be cautious when using suspicious-looking URL shorteners. There's also an interesting statistic within the article stating that about 26% of all tweets contain a URL and retweeting just helps these things spread all the more quickly. Who knew?
Monday: October 19, 2009
- These days even a parking ticket can masquerade as a computer virus.
Drivers found the following message on the yellow ticket on their windscreen: 'PARKING VIOLATION This vehicle is in violation of standard parking regulations'. The ticket then instructed drivers to visit a website...
Tuesday: October 13, 2009
- Giant blobs of sea mucus apparently on the rise. Swim for the hills!
National Geographic even has a video of the said mucus blobs in action. Some of these oversized blobs are home to many lovely bacteria and various virii.
Thursday: September 17, 2009
- Five tips on how to avoid catching germs whilst traveling on a plane.
Try not to breathe as much as you normally do for the entire length of the flight. Oh, and wash your hands repeatedly.
Friday: September 4, 2009
- A list of the top ten computer worms and viruses for your sickly pleasure.
The Da Vinci virus curiously not on this list. Someone must have gotten a hold of that garbage file again.
Monday: August 17, 2009
- Eight dirty secrets of the IT security industry.
A good read for my fellow not-so-dirty IT folk out there.
Monday: July 6, 2009
- McAfee glitch sends out a false-positive for virus detection accidentally.
Glitch caused many a headaches worldwide as the anti-virus software starting attacking core system files. Whoops.
Friday: June 19, 2009
- Microsoft to hand out free anti-virus software.
Beta version will be available online starting on June 23rd.